Factory seconds, samples and custom overstocks are pairs of boots that have been created as prototypes, for displays/pictures, leftover custom orders, or with minor flaws from production which put them just underneath the benchmark for first quality. We are happy to offer these boots and pass along some savings to our valued customers. Once a size/style is gone, it generally will not be re-stocked as these are offered once per each style's production run.
Where do factory seconds come from?
With so many manual steps involved in creating a single pair of boots, sometimes imperfections can occur. For every 100 pairs of boots that are produced, we get about 5-10 pairs of these which come out with minor flaws due to the nature of handcrafting a boot with over 180 manual steps.
During the build process, sometimes any of the following examples of events can occur:
1. The sole stitching machine rips the shoe out from underneath and the thread appears crooked.
2. The sewing machine jams in the beginning, middle or end of sewing a quarter while the needle has already poked through and produces a stitch line outside of pattern tolerance.
3. Deviation of leather scarring, texture or shade is more plentiful on one boot than another or on the pair as a whole compared to first quality.
While none of these impact the performance or quality of the boots built, and most of the factory second's flaws aren't immediately noticeable when wearing, we do monitor instances such as these and ensure to mark the boots as factory seconds on our website should we come across them.
1. Factory sample, prototype or factory overstock.
2. Boots may have scars, indents or imperfections in the leather which put them just under what we would label first quality.
3. Boots worn once or twice for photos.
So why buy a factory second?
Maybe you live in Buffalo and the snow, slush and salt are part of your commute for 8 months out of the year. Maybe you're looking to go to Wegman's (or grocery store of preference) and want to put on something that will get you from the parking lot to the deli counter in style. Perhaps you don't want to wear a $500 boot to go fill up your car at the gas station. Or just maybe you're looking for a general pair of boots to beat around which you don't have to worry about taking care of. From groceries to the gas pump, factory seconds make a great addition as a worry-free option to your everyday rotation.